Monday, November 30, 2009

Don't Sleep Too Much - It Might Kill You

Well, it was a 3 days weekend here in Malaysia with Friday being Hari Raya Qurban. We decided to take a drive up to Genting on Friday but we kinda slept in as the night before, we played L4D 2 till about 3am. So Friday, we got up about 3pm and decided that Genting could do without us for the day.

Saturday came by and we got up pretty late as well at about 2pm because the night before, electricity was cut off at about 2-3am according to baby and it went on till about 6am. Wanted to catch a movie and probably do something with our weekend but we were just too damn lazy. Got to Midvalley for a while just cause baby's house didnt have electricity. Walked about and all, didnt really have the mood to do anything else.

The thing about getting too little sleep the past few nights have been making my head go crazy every afternoon. I've been having headaches now even if I sleep more than I need, and Ill get them also when I sleep less than I need. So these past few days that we've been off, I've been sleeping for about 12hours or more and today, which is a Sunday, I think I've probably slept the whole freaking day.

I woke up at bout 2.30pm and then went out at 4pm for lunch. Came back, my headache strike again, so I pop 2 panadols and rested on bed. Before I knew it, I slept. It is amazing how I can sleep, really. I woke up at 8pm! So in total I actually slept like 16 hours or more, I cannot recall. Baby told me that sleeping too much wont be good for health. However, sleeping too little also wont be good for health. Too me, sleeping more than I need seems better than sleeping less than I need. So I decided to go search online about sleeping too much, if there's something bad about it and too my horror, the effect is worse than sleeping too little! Read it here.

Apparently sleeping too much is double the effect of sleeping too little. Researchers are still researching on the effect of sleeping too much but most definitely proven is that sleeping too little will cause cardiovascular problems. Recently a 45year old guy died of sleeping less than 7hours a day. Cause of death was heart attack. Healthy and strong, but died just like that. So, if sleeping too much has a double effect of sleeping too little, am I gona die like...soon? Oh Gosh! But what will I do without my 12hours of sleep. I've been living my life, sleeping as I wish and waking up when my body wakes up. It's better to be safe than sorry I guess. Oh man!

These infos were taken out of the linked above. Something we should all take note of :

Medical Problems Linked to Oversleeping

Diabetes.
In a study of almost 9,000 Americans, researchers found a relationship between sleep and the risk of diabetes. People who slept more than nine hours each night had a 50% greater risk of diabetes than people who slept seven hours per night. This increased risk was also seen in people who slept less than five hours per night. The researchers did not draw conclusions about the physiological link between long sleep and diabetes. But they did suggest that oversleeping could be indicative of underlying medical problems that increase the likelihood of diabetes.

Obesity. Sleeping too much could make you weigh too much, as well. One recent study showed that people who slept for nine or 10 hours every night were 21% more likely to become obese over a six-year period than were people who slept between seven and eight hours. This association between sleep and obesity remained the same even when food intake and exercise were taken into account.

Headaches. For some people prone to headaches, sleeping longer than usual on a weekend or vacation can cause head pain. Researchers believe this is due to the effect oversleeping has on certain neurotransmitters in the brain, including serotonin. People who sleep too much during the day and disrupt their nighttime sleep may also find themselves suffering from headaches in the morning.

Back pain. There was a time when doctors told people suffering from back pain to head straight to bed. But those days are long gone. You do need to curtail your regular exercise program when you are experiencing back pain. But doctors now realize the health benefits of maintaining a certain level of activity. And they recommend against sleeping more than usual, when possible.

Depression. Although insomnia is more commonly linked to depression than oversleeping, roughly 15% of people with depression sleep too much. This may in turn make their depression worse. That's because regular sleep habits are important to the recovery process. Need another reason not to overdo the ZZZs when you're blue? In certain instances, sleep deprivation can be an effective treatment for depression.

Heart disease. The Nurses' Health Study involved nearly 72,000 women. A careful analysis of the data from that study showed that women who slept nine to 11 hours per night were 38% more likely to have coronary heart disease than women who slept eight hours. Researchers have not yet identified a reason for the connection between oversleeping and heart disease.

Death. Multiple studies have found that people who sleep nine or more hours a night have significantly higher death rates than people sleeping seven to eight hours a night. No specific reason for this correlation has been determined. But researchers found that depression and low socioeconomic status are also associated with longer sleep. They speculate these factors could be related to the observed increase in mortality for people who sleep too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment