Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dimple Maggot cooks : Buttermilk Roast Chicken Rice

Buttermilk-Roast-Chicken-4

I absolutely love Buttermilk. Serve me anything in buttermilk and I'll gobble them with as much rice as I can. So I decided to look up the recipe online, wanting to make my very own buttermilk chicken with rice.

I soon realized that the recipes available online are not of those that I usually eat in Chinese "tai chow" restaurants. Not the normal "na yau" chicken,pork,prawn that I've tasted before so, I tried it anyway and it turned out nice. Not the same, not what I expected but definitely new. I've not tasted anything like that but according to the fiance, he said it taste a lot like the Baked Dory Fish from Manhattan Fish Market that I always ordered. That's the only dish I order from their menu and I love eating it!

Ingredients (2 pax serving) :

• 2 chicken whole leg, chopped to 3 parts each
• 1 cup milk
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 cloves garlic, bruised and skins removed
• 1 tablespoon crushed peppercorns
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 teaspoon coriander powder
• 1 tablespoon honey

Method :

Heat a small pan and, when it's nice and hot, add butter until melted through.

Add butter into milk and stir.

Place the chicken drumsticks in a large freezer bag or big bowl if you don't have freezer bag, and add buttermilk. Coat chicken with buttermilk throughout. Add the bruised garlic cloves with the crushed peppercorns and salt. Mix through again. Sprinkle in coriander and finally add the honey, use clean hands and have everything mixed to coat the chicken. If using freezer bag, squish and shake them well.

Leave the buttermilk marinated chicken in the fridge ideally overnight or out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.

Buttermilk-Roast-Chicken-2

Preheat the oven to 220°C. Take the chicken pieces out of the bag shaking off the excess marinade (will be used to make the rice later), and then arrange them in a roasting tin lined with foil, have extras to fold over for baking. Bake for 50 minutes. Open up the top part of the foil and put back the chicken into the oven for another 15 minutes or until brown.

Buttermilk-Roast-Chicken-3

Heat a small pot and, add excess marinate to boil. Add a pinch of salt. Stir thoroughly for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, wash rice in rice cooker pot. Pour boiled buttermilk and top up with water to the right level shown on rice cooker. Put to cook.

Place chicken out onto the serving plate. Pick garlic out of the foil baking pan and place them around the chicken or if you like, mush them up and spread them over onto the chicken. Lastly, pour remaining sauce/juice onto the chicken.

Buttermilk-Roast-Chicken-1

No comments:

Post a Comment