Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mexican by the beach, El Cactus at Port Dickson

Not too long ago during the Raya break weekend, I took a little trip down to Port Dickson. I used to visit that place often, like once every year when I was younger. Most of my mom's side of the family grew up in Seremban and Port Dickson was the place of their mini retreat. An hour from Kuala Lumpur to Seremban, another half hour towards Port Dickson brought back so many memories of my previous family vacation we've had there.

Coming from a family of non Christians, we took the opportunity to spend the long holiday at Port Dickson by renting a big-enough service apartment to accommodate us all. Aunty Elsie would be in charge of her famous curry chicken, Aunty Cheryl most likely was in charge of nick nax, and if I remembered correctly, my mom would be in charge of drinks. The cousins and I were the ones in charge of bringing games, mostly for ourselves. And we will be having the time of our lives staying in Port Dickson for 2 nights, at the very least.

So, this trip actually brought back memories. Happy memories.

1

It was way passed lunch time when we arrived, Autogridz boys, Sharmayne and I. Instead of going for the usual, e.g seafood restaurant where one would always suggest during a visit to the beach, we headed towards a quaint Mexican joint, off the corner along Port Dickson road.

6

El Cactus, probably the least expected restaurant in Port Dickson, caters delicious Mexican dishes that will surprise your taste buds. If you are craving for something different, opt for one of their main dishes, Chimichanga in beef. It is the most delicious Mexican food I've ever had and every bite spreads zesty, sourish, beefy goodness sensations onto your taste buds. Very satisfying! This dish feeds two.

2

Being told that the juices are freshly squeezed. Instead a mix of fresh orange and cordial was being served. Despite having asked before I ordered, to make sure that I get my juices fresh, this irritated me a little. Decided not to make a fuss of it because it was clear that the servers weren't educated enough of our language or of the contents of the menu.

3
4

Young decided to order their Breakfast Set. It came with grilled chicken sausages (option for beef available), sauteed mushrooms, a small portion of baked beans, grilled half tomato, sunny side up and a separate plate of butter and jam with toast. According to him, the sausages were nice, but the rest was normal.

5

As for Sharmayne and Charles, they shared a plate of Grilled Chicken. Looks extremely appetizing, doesn't it? I took a tiny bite and was pretty impressed with how it tasted. Lightly grilled to perfection. The chicken wasn't overcooked. The mayonnaise gravy that was on it practically went hand in hand with whatever the chicken was marinated with. Definitely a must try if you are there.

Seeing that the whole point of being at Port Dickson was to find a good spot by the beach to shoot the two Volvos that Autogridz had during the holiday, we finished lunch quick to get on with our hunt for the perfect spot. Drove a couple of blocks down the coastal road and stumbled upon a little lane towards the beach, which looked promising.

7

It opened out to a wide section of the beach, which was perfect for the shoot. So we chilled for a while, had ice cream and did the shoot. It was bright and sunny, trees for shade, I had Fifty Shades to keep me occupied, it was close to perfect. If only the water was cleaner on the west.

8
9
10
11
12

Anyway, we ended our trip slightly after 630pm. We gave Thistle a visit. Sadly, our hopes for having a good cup of coffee to end the day with did not even come close to being fulfilled at their coffee house. Their coffee, I would say was the third worst coffee I've ever had in my entire life.

Being so highly recommended of its' place, I really don't think they kept up to their standard of a great resort to stay in if you are in Port Dickson. So, if you are considering it, I would suggest that you look through Tripadvisor for a better option.

El-Cactus Bistro & Bar
Lot 2674, Batu 2,
Jalan Pantai,
71000 Port Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment